No one wants to get old. How many of us long for those days when we were young and stupid when our bodies were limber and able? Infinity Rehab is out to convince us that you can embrace aging, especially when coupled with rehabilitation services. Thanks to the modern marvels of speech, physical, and occupational therapy, they tell us that relief is near.
First, the infographic lists out many of the issues we encounter as we age. They are as follows:
- 10% of adults over 65 suffer from Alzheimer’s
- Nearly 75% of all strokes occur in people over 65
- 59% of adults over 65 suffer from arthritis
- An average of 3.2 million doctor visits from 2000-2010 for back pain was from adults 65+
- 1.4 million people over 65 in 2010 visited the doctor for hip pain
- People 50-70 suffer 30% muscle loss
- 60-70% of people with diabetes suffer from nerve pain
As you can see, these are only a few of the most common conditions that aging people suffer. For these conditions, there’s a few different therapies to try.
First is Physical Therapy or PT. It focuses treatment on personal function of the muscles, bones, joints, or nerves. It can help with balance and endurance as well as allow patients to actively participate in society.
Occupational Therapy, or OT assists with the ability to perform Activities of Daily Living and may involve equipment like walkers, bath benches, or specialized kitchen equipment. It also addresses fine motor tasks like buttoning shirts and helps to relearn common activities.
There’s more to see! Read on in the infographic below.